Springs bring in a gust of joy and happiness in everyone’s lives but along with it comes the urgency to prepare for the upcoming rains. A typical tension for the house owners is the water-proofing of their houses before the rains start showing up. It becomes such an headache for the people living in the house. The problem persists in almost each and every household so if the water-proofing is not done in right time, the rains can cause great damage to the houses and would further add more to the costs of repairing and maintenance. There are some ways through which the water-proofing of houses can be done in just one weekend. The following section gives some ways through which the water-proofing of the houses can be carried out easily.
WATERPROOFING OF HOUSES: MADE EASY
The following are some ways through which houses can be water-proofed easily and really fast:
1. Start from the concrete cracks: Concrete cracks cause great damage when exposed to rain although they are not visible mostly. However, repairing these cracks is very easy when done at the right time. The smaller cracks can be easily repaired by applying concrete caulk using a high-pressure nozzle. However, for better durability of this repair the crack needs to be properly cleaned in prior to applying the caulk. For larger cracks, concrete patches can be used. This needs to be done prior to the rains since water can cause great damage through these small cracks.
2. Apply the right sealer: Mere painting over the damage would not suffice. The selection of the sealer should be done depending on the damage. Oil based sealers should be chosen over water based ones for better durability. The solid content in the sealers is also a vital criterion for selecting the sealer. Kilz and Zinsser are some brands which manufacture sealers. Proper selection of the brushes and rollers used to apply the sealers is also sometimes vital.
3. Repairing the rain gutters: Although a messy task, this ensures a safer rainy season for all the house owners. The first and foremost step is to clean the blocked downspouts. This can be easily done using a high-pressure hose-pipe or barbeque tongs. The gutter nails also need to be repaired. It is always better to replace the worn-out screws with the long lag screws which tend to be a bit stronger as compared to the conventional ones. These are also quite easy to be installed.
4. The door and window replacement: Wood expands when exposed to moisture and this swollen wood can cause great damage during the rains. These sticking doors and windows, hence need to be repaired before the commencement of the rains. The material sticking out can be removed easily using hand plane which removes the required quantity only. However, all these sticking of windows or doors can be prevented by applying a coat of paint.
5. Paint of rusty furnishings: Rusty fixtures when left untreated cause great problems. This calls for the need to paint the rusted parts using the required additives. However, rusty parts should not be painted using light oils since these evaporate very fast and even make the existing lubrication futile which further enhances the problems. Sometimes, heavy grease can also be used for the purpose.
These hacks ensure that minimum hamper happens to the house and the parts due to the rains and the waterproofing is carried out in a very short time. Use these hacks to be safe during the downpours rather than be sorry after the damage. Thank us later!!!